When the weather turns bad, please check your emails, texts and calls for a message from the district. If the school day needs to change because of the weather, we will let you know as soon as the decision is made. We try to make the call the day before. Sometimes the forecast is uncertain, and it is an early morning decision. We apologize for these early morning interruptions, but because many sports, activities and classes at our schools start so early, we want to reach you as soon as possible. Information will also be posted on the district website and on the district social media and sent to the local news.
Three options are available for inclement weather. The district may call one of the following:
A Remote Learning Day
There are no set zoom times on remote learning days! You may do the work on your own time at your own pace.
- Teachers have directed students where to find their remote assignments.
- Teachers will be available by email for questions and help throughout the day.
- For every snow day, an extra day will be given for the work to be completed. We understand students’ situations vary on snow days. They will have time beyond the snow day to complete their work.
- Teachers are asked to consider the time commitment of students with a full course load and keep the entire amount of time to complete all of the coursework for a full course load to 4 hours or less for high school students, 3 hours or less for middle school students and 2 hours or less for elementary students. The 4 hours at the high school level would equate to 30 minutes per class on a traditional schedule and 60 minutes per class on a block schedule.
A Two Hour Late Start
Two hour late starts can be very beneficial to let the sun come up, the roads warm up and to avoid rush hour traffic. All schools start two hours later than their regular Tuesday through Friday start times. On Mondays, middle schools will also start at 9:55 a.m. and high schools will also start at 10 a.m.
- Start times for two hour late starts are as follows:
- Elementary - 10:30 a.m. *Abbott Elementary - 10:20 a.m.
- Middle School - 9:55 a.m. *Including Mondays
- High School - 10:00 a.m. *Including Mondays
- Buses will run two hours late based on the regular Tuesday through Friday schedule.
- Millard Academy students should not report to their academy but instead, go to their home school.
- Morning preschool is canceled when the District has a late start. All other preschool times remain the same.
A Canceled Day / Traditional Snow Day
On a day when school is canceled, schools are closed and no work is assigned. Please note, there is the possibility of a canceled day due to reasons beyond snow.