A. School Board Vacancies:
A position on the Board shall be vacant, except as provided in Neb. Rev. Stat.§32-561 for military service, upon the happening of any one of the following events at any time before the expiration of the term of such office:
1) Resignation of the incumbent;
2) Death of the incumbent;
3) Removal of the incumbent from office;
4) Decision of a competent tribunal declaring the office of the incumbent vacant;
5) Incumbent ceasing to be a resident of the District;
6) Failure to elect at a proper election when there is no incumbent to continue in office until his or her successor is elected and qualified;
7) Failure of a candidate elected to the Board to qualify for such office;
8) Forfeiture of office as provided by law;
9) Conviction of a felony or of any public offense involving the violation of the oath of office of the incumbent;
10) Incumbent on the Board assuming another elective office as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of Neb. Rev. Stat. §32-604.; or
11) When a Board member is absent from the District for a continuous period of sixty days at one time or from more than two consecutive regular meetings of the Board unless excused by a majority of the remaining members of the Board.
B. Filling a School Board Vacancy:
1) A vacancy on the Board resulting from any cause other than the expiration of a term shall be temporarily filled by appointment of a qualified registered voter by the remaining members of the Board for the remainder of the unexpired term. A registered voter appointed or elected pursuant to this subsection shall meet the same requirements as the member whose office is vacant.
2) If the Board fails to fill a vacancy on the Board, the vacancy may be filled by election at a special election or school district meeting called for that purpose. Such election or meeting shall be called in the same manner and subject to the same procedures as other special elections.
3) If there are vacancies in the positions of a majority of the members of the Board, the Secretary of State shall be requested to conduct a special school district election to fill such vacancies.
Neb. Rev. Stat. §32-560; 32-561; 32-570